My New Friends


For years I have been coveting my friends' friends.
Just about everyone I know has some.
They are easygoing, undemanding and quiet.
They always listen when one needs to share the trials of life.
And they'll eat just about anything.
Yes.
I am talking about worms. Red wrigglers to be precise.
I first encountered worm farming while doing an internship on an organic farm in Ohio. I was responsible for keeping the little critters hale and hearty and really grew to love my time spent in the barn taking care of them. It sure beat harvesting potatoes in the rain!
I have been resisting the urge to buy an R800 luxury worm farm made of plastic which just didn't sit right somehow. But the problem has been solved.
At last, my clever daddy built me one out of recycled packaging crates. It is gorgeous, two sections with a drip tray underneath to harvest wonderful worm tea. I have been feeding my potted rose and my mulberry tree the tea and they have both turned into the most amazing lush, voluptuous plants one could imagine.
I can't wait for my first batch of vermicompost!


Comments